The Learning Experiences on Cultural Diversity Study Trip was organized on 8 November 2019 (Friday) to 11 November 2019 (Monday). The study trip aims to promote students’ real and on-the-ground understanding of Sarawak cultural diversity by bridging the gap between the lectures and the real world. 22 students and 2 lecturers from Centre of University Courses and Innovative Learning (UCiL) were involved in the study trip.
The study trip had been a successful and fruitful trip. Students had the opportunity to visit Annah Rais Longhouse, Fort Margherita, Sarawak Cultural Village and Kuching Waterfront. Visit to the Annah Rais Longhouse and Sarawak Cultural Village were educational to students.
Highlights of the trip
Day 1 (8 November 2019)
- Depart from university compound to Kuching at 8 am using UCTS Bus.
- Arrived at hotel (Place2Stay @ Metrocity) around 6pm.
Day 2 (9 November 2019)
- The trip started on Saturday with a visit to Annah Rais Longhouse.
- Kampung Annah Rais is a large Bidayuh village centred around a centuries-old bamboo longhouse, one of the finest still in existence.
- Students get to explore century-old longhouses bedecked with bamboo interiors and a collection of human skulls.
- In the evening, students get to visit Fort Margherita. Fort Margherita was built in 1879 to guard Kuching’s river approaches from pirates.
Day 3 (10 November 2019)
- Day 3 started with a visit to Sarawak Cultural Village.
- Students experienced Sarawak in Half-a-day at Sarawak Cultural Village and learn about the local culture and lifestyles of the various ethnic groups in Sarawak.
- In the evening, students visit Kuching Waterfront.
Day 4 (11 November 2019)
- Depart from Kuching at 9am and arrived at university compound around 6.30pm.
Videos of Cultural Performance
Attached are videos taken at Sarawak Cultural Village during cultural performance by cultural village staffs.